Here's the day's recap...
5:00 am :Isaac wakes up crying...this is about the time he was born so I figure he wanted to commemorate it. I put his pacifier back in and held him for a couple of minutes and then put him back to sleep.
6:00 am: Isaac wakes up for real. Brian and I wish him a Happy Birthday and are generally excited. I get a little bit sentimental watching him play with his Dad and thinking "wow, has it really been a year." We hang out in the morning.
9:30 am: Brian calls to tell me the van needs to be taken from the shop it's at to the dealership to get fixed since they are the ones that cover the warranty. I'm a little bit perturbed by this since the van has been in and out of two different places already since Monday and I'm tired of being without a car and also don't want to deal with having to figure out how to get it to this new place.
10:00 am: Isaac and I walk to the bus stop and then take the bus down to the dental school to have lunch with Brian. It's a nice relaxing ride with quite a few people telling me how cute Isaac is and wishing him a Happy Birthday. We have a nice lunch with Brian.
12:00 pm: I hop on the subway to get to a bus stop to go home. It's a different route than I came down to the school. Somehow either Brian or I get the subway stop wrong and I get off at the wrong place only to find if I want to get on the bus that will take me home, I'm going to have to get back on the subway and go back to the right stop. I'm quite emotional at this point. Wether it's pregnancy hormones or just a frustrating day I'm not sure, but I find myself about to cry. I hold it together though, get back on the subway and then onto the correct bus. On the bus I meet one of my students from King high school and find out she is going to community college and taking care of her son who is a couple months younger than Isaac. Just before I get to my stop a girl gets on cursing up a storm talking about how the murder rate is going to go up and definately very upset about something. I'm sitting there thinking, "I can't beleive Isaac is hearing this." I quickly get off, walk home, lay Isaac down, and then cry. I hate crying, so I try to stop and pull myself together and figure out how I'm going to get myself from one car place to the next. Luckily, my friend Robyn agrees to come and help me out and drive me all over town and I get the van where it needs to go.
3:00pm - I get home from the van adventure and I'm thinking, "Hum, I need to make Isaac's birthday cake, I need to come up with something for dinner, I need to wrap the presents, I really should clean the house, etc. etc." I get the cake made and come up with an easy dinner. Brian calls to tell me he is finishing cleaning up and will be riding his bike home soon. I break down again on the phone and Brian's thinking, "is my wife falling apart." He calls me again before he leaves to make sure I'm ok. I tell him, "I'm fine, no I don't know what's wrong, I'm just having an emotional day ok."
5:30pm - We wake Isaac up and are ready for the celebration. He is crying and wants nothing to do with it. I try to console hime and eventually he is happy enough to sit in his chair. We sing happy birthday, blow out the candle, and give him the cake...thinking dig in. He touches the icing and doesn't like how it feels on his hand and starts to cry. We try to keep encouraging him but all he's interested in is the candle and trying to stick it different places in the cake. We give up on cake and move onto the presents. Luckily this part of the night goes much better. He loves all his new toys. Isaac plays with his toys for a while and then I lay him down and start this blog, while Brian is off riding his bike to pick up the van that is supposedly done. I've heard that one before, so we will see. I must say sitting here writing about my day has been quite theraputic. I'm feeling much better and ready to go laugh for an hour of watching The Office.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Happy Birthday Isaac! Hope you have a much better day tomarrow Sarah! See you at 11:30!
Happy 1st Birthday Isaac! Funny, Alexander's 1st bday was just the opposite... He LOVED his all chocolate cake, and was scared of all of his presents (with the exception of his slinking and a little plastic lion figurine).
Wow. What a day!! But I loved the tractor cake. Very cute!!
Oh Sarah, how awful! I have those days too. Much more often when I am pregnant, though. It must be the hormones for me because I seldom cry.
If you ever need a ride anywhere, please call me. I have a car everyday and am always willing to help. I like to serve anyway that I can. It helps me get over thinking about my self.
Thanks for the party today! You did such a great job and my kids had the best time!
Post a Comment